Tuesday 23 October 2012

Capiz Me.

I know this is another late-night post, but you'll have to excuse me! I've made a decision to avoid being on the computer during the day, and as Derek and I manage to stay fairly busy during the evenings (especially now that Lana's back!) I have to squeeze in writing these guys whenever I can. Aka, 10:45 tonight! But they do say that creativity is the strongest after 10:00! Something about parts of your brain shutting down... or something.

I'd like to share with all of you a recent purchase Derek and I made at 10,000 Villages. For any of you who haven't heard of them, they're a Fair Trade organization that sells artisan-crafted accessories  home décor  coffee, and clothing. They're part of the MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) and the Mennonite and Brethren in Christ churches. I'd heard of them before I came to Manitoba, but since there's a shop right in Steinbach, I've become a lot more aware of who they are and what they do since I moved here almost three years ago. As I mentioned in yesterdays post, Derek and I received a gift card from them for our wedding, and on Saturday, we decided to use it. We spent part of the card on a gorgeous white scarf - made in India. And we used a bit more of it to purchase a lovely capiz shell frame - also made in India. 

After purchasing the frame, I wasn't sure where to put it. The living room was of course an option, but considering how much work we've already done to decorate that room (including banners, streamers, and bows from last night's welcome home party for Lana!) I thought it might be time to give a different room some of my well-deserved attention! I ended up putting it in the bedroom, but had to do a bit of rearranging first. You might notice that in most of the pictures I share, that our house seems to be clean, organized, etc. Well, for any of you wondering, I assure you that 90% of the time, it looks nothing like the pictures. I might not be as messy as I was in highschool, but things sure pile up quick!

The dresser in the corner of our bedroom was one of those places where things piled, so I gave it a bit of a redo. Imagine it covered in jewellery (now in the silver box), scarves (back in the closet where they belong), and all kinds of random junk that hadn't been given a place to live yet (either found a home, or just ended up in the baby-eating-office. Either way, it's no longer an eyesore, and the clean up provided me with a nice little station where I can do my makeup in the morning and where we can keep the things we use every day, while looking at some of the nice décor - instead of a pile where you lose things super easily. 


And here's a close up on the frame. Don't mind the sad looking girl in the shot. We're waiting on wedding pictures.Oh, and in this closeup, you can also see my vase with my candle. That's rice in there for anyone who's wondering. It's a great, and cheap filler. The vase and the candle are actually from the Dollarstore, so in total that little project was only about $4. Really nice to be able to put something together for cheap, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment